Sunday, May 20, 2012

Jack Daniels whiskey barrel (HERB GARDEN)

In addition to our garden beds, we are also doing a lot of container gardening around the property. My husband bought me a Jack Daniels whisky barrel for Mother's Day, because nothing says love like a whisky barrel. I have to admit I was a little sad that it was cut in half and empty.
He drilled 3/4 inch holes in the bottom of it for proper drainage. We placed a couple of coffee filters over the holes to stop the soil from falling through the bottom and filled with a nice mixture of high quality organic potting soil, compost and some sphagnum/peat moss. The mixture is nice, black and loamy. We then added the herbs: variegated oregano, lavender, rosemary, basil and lemon thyme. I have no idea if they will work well together, the project is an experiment. I also placed a beautiful glazed pot, that I had purchased from Anthropologie, on it's side for decoration.


Empty barrel. If you purchase one and wait to use it, keep
misting the inside to keep it from drying out.


Hope these plants work well together. If not, I will pluck
out and put somewhere else. Can't wait to see if it fills in. 
In front of barrel is my cayenne pepper plant.


Closeup of Variegated Oregano, Lemon Thyme and Lavender.
GROW, BABY GROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment